Public service information


log on to: 

BUS SERVICES  See below Transdev service York-Boroughbridge-Ripon-Harrogate starting on 29 May 2016

 log on to:   FIRE emergency: dial 999 non-emergency 01609 780150  

For information call 0845 300 6091.

log on to: 

(or go to links)  

Fed up receiving junk mail? Worried about identity theft? Then call 0845 091 091 and ask for a copy of the 'Personal Information Toolkit' produced by the Information Commissioner's Office or download from  

Newcomers to Bishop Monkton should expect to receive a Welcome Pack soon after their arrival. To help identify newcomers, villagers are asked to pass details to Margaret Lodge, Parish Council clerk.

The police have set up a telephone number, 101, for anyone to call regarding  non emergency matters.   Calls to 101 are answered by police officers and staff in the control room of the local police force. This ensures that staff with local knowledge can answer and deal with the calls and respond appropriately. Callers are not put through to a large national call centre.

For example, you should call 101 if:

·         your car has been stolen

·         your property has been damaged

·         report a minor traffic collision

·         give the police information about crime in your area

·         speak to the police about a general enquiry

101 has been introduced as part of the government's wider work to improve access to the police, ease pressure on 999, and help to efficiently and effectively tackle crime and disorder.
You should continue to call 999 when it is an emergency.

A new waste and re-cycling collection service started in Bishop Monkton in June 2013.
The black bag service is changing to a wheeled bin for your household waste which will go to landfill.
Non re-cyclable waste (GREY) ie household waste will be placed in the new all grey wheeled nin. This waste goes straight to landfill.
Re-cyclable waste (GREEN) will go into your black box (bottles,tins, cans, foil), your blue bag (newspapers, magazines and card) and garden waste into your garden waste bin.
The non re-cyclable waste
and the re-cyclable waste will be collected in alternate weeks and only from the kerbside (not
from your back doore as previously).


Residents could call 101 to report the number plate of a vehicle speeding or driving inappropriately in the village.  Remember the Highway Code states...

Rule 125

The speed limit is the absolute maximum and does not mean it is safe to drive at that speed irrespective of conditions. Driving at speeds too fast for the road and traffic conditions is dangerous. You should always reduce your speed when

·         the road layout or condition presents hazards, such as bends

·         sharing the road with pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders, particularly children, and motorcyclists

·         weather conditions make it safer to do so

·         driving at night as it is more difficult to see other road users.

Rule 154

Take extra care on country roads and reduce your speed at approaches to bends, which can be sharper than they appear, and at junctions and turnings, which may be partially hidden. Be prepared for pedestrians, horse riders, cyclists, slow-moving farm vehicles or mud on the road surface. Make sure you can stop within the distance you can see to be clear. You should also reduce your speed where country roads enter villages.
log on to:   
go to links    


The Little Explorers No 22/23 bus timetable was updated in April this year.  The version below is the original one from 2016.  None of the changes actually affect Bishop Monkton buses and the only difference is that a couple of early morning journeys from York have been axed – one from York to Ripon and one from York to Knaresborough.  The latest timetable can be found